Monday, February 15, 2010

Long run in the rain

I decided to use my birthday money to buy a Garmin Forerunner 305, and after using it the first time on a long run this morning, I'm pleased with my decision. The 305 seems like be a good fit for me. I don't want to monitor my training too obsessively, but I do like knowing how far and how fast I've run. Plus, I can use the unit for cycling, skate skiing, hiking and just about anything else that involves my moving from one point to another.

Another advantage to the 305 is the Garmin Connect software. The reports (click the link at the bottom to see today's) are pretty useful. Garmin Connect automatically maps my route on Google Earth, because I set up the 305 to start a new interval every mile, I can see how fast I ran each individual mile, and how much elevation I gained or lost. Cool stuff.

About today's run (for those who have known me for a while, yes, running)--this was my first non-race run outdoors this year. The weather reports last week predicted nice weather for today, so I decided to take advantage of the holiday to get off the treadmill and onto the road. Unfortunately, today was gray and drizzly, but not bad enough to keep me indoors. I looped up through the Avenues, down past Memory Grove, around the state capitol and down to Beck Street before looping through Rose Park and returing (mostly) the way I came.

This was the longest I've ever run in my life, and my legs held up pretty well, although I ran into trouble in the last mile and a half. It wasn't the fatigue (although I was tired) as much as it was the strain of running downhill, which I haven't really done before. Living in the Avenues, I imagine I'll get used to it, but today it was agony.

I also had some trouble eating and drinking along the way. Meaning that other than a handful of Jelly Bellies after one hour and a can of Coke after 90 minutes, I didn't eat or drink anything. In the summer, I can use the drinking fountains along the route, but for now I'm going to need to figure out a way to carry my water if I want to finish strong.

All in all, it was a good run. I'm still new to this, but I seem to be progressing nicely, and I think my cycling fitness should be mostly transferable. It had better be, If I'm going to survive my plans for the next two months . . .

GPS Report - February 15, 2010

2 comments:

me said...

You should tell us more about your plans for the next two months!

Abominable's Main Squeeze said...

Glad the Garmin's working so well for you!

Good luck with the running--you'll get it all figured out. ;-)